Winner of numerous awards for university teaching (see below). For a pdf summary of the events that comprised the 2009-2010 residency as Hans Christian Andersen Academy Professorial Fellow at the University of Southern Denmark, please click here; for a webpage with links regarding the residency, videos, etc., click here.
INDIVIDUAL LESSONS FOR PERFORMERS AND TEACHERS OF PIANO
Technical problem-solving, integrating physical comfort with virtuosity, interpretive liberation. Practice methods that incorporate the healthful principles set forth in THE PERFECT WRONG NOTE. A straightforward, refreshing, non-dogmatic, empowering, down-to-earth approach that offers dramatic benefits in just a few lessons.
Individual consultations and coaching for performers and teachers of other instruments and the vocal arts.
Distinctions as Teacher:
- 2017 – Keynote speaker, European Piano Teachers Association UK (Nottingham)
- 2015 – recorded podcast interview (55 minutes) on “Performance, Practice, and Redefining Mistakes” for the British website leanmusician.com. Youtube version here
- 2014 – Keynote speaker for the Korean Association for Piano Pedagogy national conference, Seoul
- 2012 – Recipient, Frances Clark Keyboard Pedagogy Award (Music Teachers National Association)
- 2008 – sole recipient of Texas Tech University’s highest teaching honor, the Chancellor’s Council Distinguished Teaching Award
- Invited by Yale University to present at its first international music education symposium, “Music – A Child’s Birthright” – 2007
- Awarded the “Certificate of Merit” by the Yale School of Music Alumni Association, for innovative contributions as artist/teacher
- Winner of three campus-wide teaching awards (Texas Tech University)
- Holder of two endowed chairs at Texas Tech: Paul Whitfield Horn Distinguished Professor and Browning Artist-in-Residence
- Named in 2005 to the roster of the Council for International Exchange of Scholars “Senior Specialist” program, through which the U.S. State Department sends professors around the world for academic residencies. Designation: Education specialist. First residency: November 2006 in Seoul, Korea
- 2007-2011: Editorial Committee Chair for American Music Teacher, the journal of Music Teachers National Association
- 2004-2007, only American teacher in the European Piano Teachers Association’s “Pedagogy Course” (London, UK)
- Hundreds of lectures and workshops presented to music teachers’ groups throughout the U.S. and in Europe and Asia
- Teaching methods (on film) analyzed by an expert panel of educators and psychologists in an open session at a Music Teachers National Association convention
“a legendary teacher” . . . “amazing” . . . “an inspiration” . . . “uncanny”
For full comments, click HERE
PODCAST INTERVIEW WITH WILLIAM WESTNEY:
William share his views on “Performance, Practice, and Redefining Mistakes” for the British website leanmusician.com.
AN INTERVIEW WITH WILLIAM WESTNEY:
William Westney was interviewed for the cover article in the May/June 2009 issue of Clavier Companion magazine. Click here to read the article.